AVP is pleased to announce the release of a new version of Exactly!
Exactly is a simple and easy to use application for remotely and safely transferring any born-digital material to the archive. Exactly uses the BagIt File Packaging Format. It supports FTP and SFTP transfers, as well as standard network transfers, and integrates into desktop-based file sharing workflows such as Dropbox or Google Drive. Exactly can also send email notifications when files have been delivered to their destination.
This release addresses the following issues:
- Fixed bug with transferring files to a Dropbox managed folder caused by locks during synchronization process.
- Updated the BagIt Library from LOC to the latest version (v5). This is what prompted the most changes as a lot of the old API methods were deprecated due to v5 being a complete rewrite of the library.
- Preserve all file metadata (including modified time, ownership, etc) during Transfer by explicitly reading from source and writing to destination after Transfer. Not valid for FTP transfers.
- Lock destination files during copy. This prevents external programs (like Dropbox) from locking files until we have finished copying to destination.
- Changed the lookandfeel to use system default because “Nimbus” had some strange behavior on Windows (particularly scroll bars being cut-off)
- Place sources directly into “/target_destination/data/” directory before bagging instead of “/destination/”. This prevents the need to move the files after they have been bagged.
- Added a retry when trying to delete unserialized version of a bag. This is file-lock related.
- Minor UI changes: better modal dialog placement, improved logging of progress, and better scrolling in the metadata window.
- Add metadata before bagging to remove the need for rewriting and recalculating the md5 of baginfo.txt after bagging.
- Remove the nbproject folder, because maven takes care of project structure now.
Exactly is available for Mac and Windows. Download links and related documentation can be found at the following URL: https://www.weareavp.com/products/exactly/
The source code for Exactly can be found at https://github.com/WeAreAVP/uk-exactly/ released under an Apache License.
We thank all Exactly users for your continued feedback and input! Special thanks to Erik Hauck from Gates Archive for substantial contributions to this release.
We invite you to stay tuned for more exciting updates in the near future. You can stay in the loop by joining the Exactly user group and you can contact us via Twitter @WeAreAVP or email email@example.com.